Our vision is a world free of meningitis.
This roadmap sets out a global strategy to achieve the following goals by 2030:
* Eliminate meningitis epidemics
* Reduce cases and deaths from vaccine-preventable meningitis by 80%
* Decrease the impact of sequelae by 50%
The global roadmap
The global strategy sets a path, for the first time, to tackle the four main causes of acute bacterial meningitis. Achieving these goals will rely on strong commitments from countries, partners, and donors to collectively engage in defeating meningitis.
The Global Roadmap is based on five pillars:
1. Prevention and epidemic control
2. Diagnosis and treatment
3. Disease Surveillance
4. Support and aftercare for families and survivors
5. Advocacy and information
All five pillars need to be developed together and implemented globally in order to achieve the overall goals. The strategic goals, milestones and priority activities outlined below will also need to be tailored to the context of each region and coordinated across regions.
Visit WHO's site and MRF's site for more information.